Let the sunshine – Let the sunshine – The sunshine in!
The above lyric is from “Let The Sunshine In” from the musical “Hair” and it’s all I kept singing in my head when I heard that Brittany from My Own Balance nominated me for a Sunshine Award this week. The Sunshine Award is an interactive way to recognize other fellow bloggers for the positive impact they have.
I often feel like a curmudgeon and nearly keeled over when I got word of this lovely distinction. Me? Sunshine-worthy? I’m thrilled that this blog can give a smile to the very fit and smart Brittany, of my new friends from Fitbloggin’. Thank you my friend, I’m extremely honored.
I love the idea behind this award and the meme-like rules:
- Include the Award Logo in your blog post (Do you see that big photo above?)
- Link to the person who nominated you (Done)
- Answer 10 questions about yourself (See below)
- Nominate 10 bloggers and let them know by leaving a comment on their blog.
Let’s see what Brittany wants to know – 10 Questions & Answers Below:
1. Where is the best place you ever traveled?
I’d say either Morocco (for my honeymoon in 2000) which was wonderful or to Israel when I was an exchange student in high school (1986 – Yes, I know that many of you were still toddlers then! Don’t rub it in).
2. If you could only eat one thing for an entire week, what would it be?
Hands down, bread. I love my starchy carbs – Challah, bagels, french bread, rolls. Anything bread-like or related. If it was a fresh bread product, I’d eat it every day for more than a week and happily!
3. What’s your favorite book?
This is a tough one. I’d love to say it was something highbrow (like a classic book) but I like weird. I might have to say “American Psycho” by Bret Easton Ellis. While I don’t love BEE as a human being (I had to stop following him on Twitter after some very homophobic tweets), as twisted as it sounds because he was a homicidal sociopath, I love the character of Patrick Bateman. The 80’s references throughout the book don’t hurt either. I’m sure someone will answer with a much better book and I’ll remember that I also loved that one too.
4. What’s YOUR favorite form of exercise?
The motion of hand to mouth with food would be my persnickety answer but since the act of eating isn’t really exercise, so I’d have to say multiple forms like yoga, indoor cycling/spinning, running and WundaBar Pilates. I whine that I can’t run as far as I’d like but I still don’t love it. I have had some amazing runs lately though.
5. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?
I have to say that I have it pretty good being able to live in both NYC and LA. I imagine it would be glamorous to live somewhere in Europe or on an island somewhere but what I’ve got going on doesn’t suck.
6. What’s your favorite kind of flower?
I love tulips and gerbera daisies. Plants and I don’t have a great relationship though. I think I can just glance at them and they’ll die. No joke, I’ve killed numerous cacti and that’s not easy.
7. Atlantic or Pacific?
Jones Beach or Coney Island Atlantic is really subpar but Mexico Atlantic is lovely. I’ve never been to Hawaii or the Pacific coast of Mexico but the Pacific Ocean in Los Angeles is COLD but pretty. Not a helpful answer but it’s the one I’ve got.
8. What would you do if you won the lottery?
Really keel over. No. I’d make sure the people I care about were taken care of in the present and for the future and then I’d definitely funnel a good portion of money to charity. I’d leave enough to plan a trip around the world and get Jay the Vespa he so desperately wants.
9. Why did you start blogging?
I started blogging for a few reasons. One, because I took a year off from work when my family moved across the country to help get my son settled in school and I thought it would be an interesting way not to chronicle my life but to help tap into more of myself. Two, I also found that there were a ton of mom blogs, foodie and recipe blogs, fitness blogs, and pop culture blogs but none that spoke to directly to me. I felt “not mom enough” for the parenting blogs, too poor or lazy to eat or cook like the foodies, like a creepy old woman trying to fit in with fitness fueled 20 somethings and not cool enough for the pop culture blogs. Through my blog I’ve learned that many of own preconceived notions were untrue but I like my own POV about food, fitness, family and Duran Duran.
10. What would your perfect day look like?
I’d say it would involve sleeping late, having all my meals made for me (and going out to brunch), spending time with Jay and Wild Boy and ending with meeting this guy:
Here are my 10 Questions (for my 10 Nominees listed below):
1. How old would you be if you could be any age and why?
2. What is something that you know how to do differently than others?
3. What would you do differently if you/no one else judged you (or wasn’t illegal)?
4. What song do you love that most people would be shocked to know?
5. What is your favorite meal?
6. What is the biggest personal change you’ve ever made?
7. What is your favorite movie?
8. What is something you wish everyone knew about you?
9. Who is your celebrity crush?
10. What’s your mantra/life philosophy/favorite quote?
Here are my 10 Sunshine Award Nominees:
I could only pick 10 bloggers – who would you add to this list? What question do you think is the most thought provoking?