Hoping you all had a great holiday weekend! I’ve been traveling a bit and I’ve been late in letting you all know about my #secretvacation (blog post pending) but this post is about my trip to Portland and my 10 Takeaways from Fitbloggin’. This was a conference unlike any other I’ve ever attended. Kia from Bodhibear.net said “that Fitbloggin is like walking into a hug” and she was absolutely right! I was lucky to have been chosen as a LiveBlogger (and therefore my conference fee was complimentary) but would have paid to attend this fabulous conference anyway! I’m already looking forward to FitBloggin 2014!
My 10 Main Takeaways From Fitbloggin’ Include:
- F – Fitness: In quantity (there were workout options 3 times a day) and quality (from Bootcamp to CrossFit to Intensati to Zumba to a special Fitbloggin’ Pyrolates class). It was great to start the conference off with a great Bootcamp at 6am with Erin Kreitz Shirey. I’ve never seen someone lead a class with so much energy in my life. I almost fell over when I realized that Erin was pregnant (with her 3rd child!). I can no longer use being tired as an excuse for anything ever.
- I – Inspiration: From the small discussion groups that I attended (Dealing With Injuries and Diet Is A Four Letter Word) where I learned how my back was a pittance of an injury compared to someone like Megan (who has had 13 surgeries and couldn’t even hold her children) and how people like David and Danielle blew me away with words of wisdom while on their own health journeys. The Ignite Fitness keynote where speakers were given 5 minutes and 20 slides to tell some of their stories had me bawling (Renisha, Kimberly and Sue O’Lear - wow!). You must see Sue O’Lear’s presentation and let me know if you can get through it dry eyed.
- T -Trampoline: I had more fun in this Jump Sport Trampoline class with Jeff McMullen than I ever dreamed possible. I was scared to death and was a sweat machine but it was AWESOME! I was lucky to have my own Doctor-In-The-House, Andrea as my partner. I wish there was a group trampoline exercise class near my house because it was truly spectacular.
- B – Blog Education: I missed the sessions on photography, SEO and Google + but I did attend the How To Create A Media Kit, Toning Up Your Writing and Getting Paid Vs. Paying Blogger Dues. I did learn some tips but I hope that next year these meaty sessions will be earlier in the day when my brain (and body) won’t be mush.
- L – Lovely Runs: Ok, so I walk/ran because my back was acting up but I got to run with the GotChocolateMilk/Team Refuel reps, Jeana and Kelly for a 5K on Friday and ran about 3 miles with Carrie of familyfitnessfood.com on Sunday. Friends, I got to run over bridges and you know that makes me very, very happy.
- O – Oregon: Portland, OR, you are gorgeous and wonderfully weird! I wish I got a chance to sample of the array of foodie delights (my friend Katrina did though and did a great review) or take advantage of shopping with no sales tax but I did learn that there are more strip clubs per capita in Portland than anywhere else in the US. I had dinner at a place called Saucebox that was actually a very cool restaurant and not a strip club despite the lascivious name.
- G – Great Swag: Sponsors were more than generous. Some of us had to sit on our suitcases to close them (and nearly check a bag which in my mind is a big no-no). We were given fabulous Nano 2.0 CrossFit Shoes and a Yoga Tank from Reebok, vitamins and supplements from Nutrilite, SoyJoy bars, a delicious new Quinoa and Chia Cereal from Attune Foods among many other wonderful things! Many thanks! Next year, I’ll try to remember to bring fewer pairs of shoes and allow for more room in my bag.
- G – Goals: I have my #13in2013 goals for the year but now there are a few more after being around such inspirational people. There’s a spark that’s been lit in my head and heart to do more not only with this blog but also to utilize my professional skills after nearly a year and a half off. Big changes are coming!
- I – Instagram: I blame my roommate Jill from Treefitness.com for my newest social media addiction, Instagram. I have no idea why I haven’t ever jumped on this bandwagon before since I love to take photos with my phone. I even learned what a #selfie is (thanks to my other “roommate” the ninjarina, Katrina B.). Come follow me on Instagram at mburton0214!
- N – New Friends: I got the chance to meet so many fabulous people (many of whom I’ve mentioned already above). Some I knew via Twitter like my fellow Melissa at MelissaRunningIt, a comrade in injury, Tiffany from RunningHutch and a girl who gets my Duran Duran obsession, Renee from LowFatPie. I was also thrilled to chat about the Hot Chocolate runs with Shannyn from FrugalBeautiful, being an east coaster transitioning to another city with Lisa from She’sLosingIt, getting my Brooklyn fix and trampoline encouragement with Schnelle from BrooklynActiveMama, and seeing dance (and trampoline) moves from Amy from It’sAllAboutTheJourney. Thanks to Katrina B. for the pick-up from the airport and being a great “roommate” and allowing us both to meet Jill!
There are my 10 takeaways! 3.5 days of fitness, fun, learning and community building is impossible to summarize well. It was a great experience and I can’t wait for next year!
I was given a conference fee waiver in exchange for Live Blogging one of the sessions I attended (which is why I didn’t see much of Portland because I’m an anxious freak and not a fast writer). I was not required to write a blog post about this event or the sponsor gifts. All other expenses were my responsibility and all opinions in this post are my own.
Who is the Twitter/Facebook/Blog friend that you don’t know IRL but would love to meet and why?
About Melissa Burton
I’m Melissa Burton, a recent transplant from Brooklyn, New York to Southern California. By profession, I’m a Registered Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator. In my actual life I’ve been a million things ...