In case you wondering why there was no post on Friday, it was partly because I was in New York and we have no Internet connection in our Brooklyn apartment and partly because I ran around like a chicken without a head over a 4 day period. I’d say a funeral, a business meeting, multiple reunions, a bar mitzvah and the loss of 2 teeth. It may not quite have been “Four Weddings and a Funeral” but it ranks damned close.
Normally, when I go to New York I get the chance to have epic runs, get reacquainted with my favorite bridge or try out a unique fitness class but on this trip, I didn’t even workout once. I had reservations for a class but needed to cancel and I had the opportunity to attend a Reebok/Tara Stiles event but that didn’t work out either. The only chance I had to go for a run, I decided to go to a cafe and have a civilized (and child-free) meal.
Technology was not my friend on the plane (I haven’t been having luck with that lately – I broke my Chromebook on the way home from FitSocial if you remember) but there were some highlights from my crazy trip that do deserve sharing like:
- Surviving the plane ride from hell -It didn’t matter that I was on a luxurious Virgin America flight from LA to NYC, it didn’t do a thing to make me feel like I wasn’t going to die when we hit so much rough air that they cut food and beverage service on the plane. I’m surprised I didn’t give myself arthritis from gripping the arm of the seat so hard! Luckily, the flight home was better. I’ve been toying with writing about my transition from young and excited cross-country flyer to the unbelievably anxiety-ridden crazy flyer I’ve become over time.
- Learning about what’s to come from FiTMAPPED – Even if you’re not in NYC or LA, FiTMAPPED is looking to come to fitness oriented cities around the country soon. If you haven’t heard of FiTMAPPED, check them out. I’m proud to be a FitRep and I’m excited about the big things coming for the communities around the country that enjoy fitness. Check out FiTMAPPED and let them know where you sweat.
- Reuniting with friends and family – Jay had been in NYC for a few days already so it was really good to be a reunited nuclear family first! With only 4 days and 2 major events, we didn’t get to see everyone we wanted to see but we were lucky to see so many friends and family members that we don’t often get to see! Thank goodness for Facebook because it helped facilitate a reunion with someone I hadn’t seen in over 25 years on this short trip!
- Just being in NYC….in Fall.
- Needing to create Starla the Tooth Fairy – Wild Boy not only turned 6.5 years old on Wednesday of this trip but he lost his first tooth on Friday and his second tooth on Saturday! The teeth were loose (the adult teeth had grown behind the baby teeth) but Jay and I didn’t expect to need to create the back story of Starla, Wild Boy’s personal Tooth Fairy and her mysterious star-filled pathway on this trip! Certainly not for two days in a row! It was all worth it to see the delight on the little guy’s face.
It was a great trip and I look forward to going back to NYC at Thanksgiving…once I get over this trip. I am really looking forward to getting back to some fitness endeavors (especially after all of the bagels, pizza and fig bars I consumed). If I don’t get back to working out today, I might not be admitted to the Fitness Magazine Meet & Tweet (or FitBlogLA) this week!
In case you didn’t know, I have a fitness giveaway contest going on until 10/31/13. Enter for your chance to win a Pink Packet!
How do you feel about flying? Have you become a scaredy-cat like me?